Date Founded: 1858
Church Location: 20057 N. 1525th St., Effingham, Illinois
Notes: Prior to the establishment of St. Mary's, Catholics in Green Creek attended services in Teutopolis.
The first Catholic Church in Green Creek was built about 1846. The cornerstone for St. Mary's Church was laid on June 5, 1860, but the church was not finished until 1865. On March 17, 1937, a fire gutted the interior and left only the walls standing. The old walls, including the cornerstone were used in the newly rebuilt church, which was dedicated on June 29, 1938.
Records Available in Diocesan Archives for Genealogy Research:
- Baptisms: 1868-1930
- Marriages: 1867-1930
- Deaths: none
- Notes: See: Teutopolis, St. Francis of Assisi for earliest records.