Date Founded: 1838
Status: Renamed Ss. Peter & Paul, 1855
Church Location: Third Street between Alby and Easton Streets.
Notes: Beginning in 1840, a priest celebrated Mass in a small frame building located on Andrew Clifford's property in Upper Alton. St. Matthew's Church was built in 1843 and was located on Third Street between Alby and Easton Streets. The church was destroyed by a fire on February 18, 1854. The property was sold and for the next three years services were held in a large hall over Hart's Livery Stable at 310 State St.
In 1855, the parish dedicated a new church to Ss. Peter and Paul, thus changing the name of the parish.
Records Available in Diocesan Archives for Genealogy Research: See: Alton, Ss. Peter and Paul