Date Founded: 1859
Status: Merged, 1994
Church Location: 512 W. Second St., Carlinville, Illinois
Notes: Merged with St. Joseph (Carlinville) to form Ss. Mary and Joseph parish. The building is still standing, but is not longer used for church services.
The cornerstone for the first St. Mary's Church was laid on August 15, 1853, but the church was not completed until 1858. On March 5, 1868 the cornerstone was laid for the second St. Mary's Church, but the church was destroyed by a tornado in the summer of 1869. It was rebuilt and Mass was held there for the first time on August 15, 1870.
Records Available in Diocesan Archives for Genealogy Research:
- Baptisms: 1858-1930
- Marriages: 1858-1930
- Deaths: 1863-1993