Date Founded: 1858
Church Location: 506 S. State St., Jerseyville, Illinois
Notes: Mass was first celebrated in Jerseyville in 1841 at the home of William Shepard and thereafter priests would visit the area occasionally. In 1848-1849, land was purchased to build a church, but construction did not begin until 1857. The first St. Francis Xavier Church, a small frame building, was dedicated in July 1858. The parish outgrew the church within a decade and the building was moved to another part of the city and used as a school and parish meeting house. Construction began on the current church in 1868 and it was dedicated on July 4, 1871.
Records Available in Diocesan Archives for Genealogy Research:
- Baptisms: 1858-1930
- Marriages: 1858-1930
- Deaths: 1858-1970