Date Founded: 1874
Status: Merged, 2004
Church Location: 16987 N. 200th St., Teutopolis, Illinois
Notes: Merged with St. Aloysius (Bishop Creek) and Immaculate Conception (Dieterich) to form St. Isidore the Farmer parish. Church open for Mass.
Prior to the establishment of St. Joseph's, Catholics in Island Grove attended services in Teutopolis.
Mass was first held at the first church on March 25, 1874. The parish had chosen to dedicate the church in honor of St. Joseph, but Bishop Peter Joseph Baltes, not hearing that the parish had already chosen a name, had named the church St. Venantius and had this name recorded at the county seat in Newton. Despite this error, the church remained St. Joseph.
The first church was located on the east side of the road from the current location and was not demolished until 1958. The second St. Joseph's church, built at the current location, was dedicated on October 4, 1903, but it was destroyed by fire on December 29th, 1917. The current church was dedicated on December 8, 1918.
Records Available in Diocesan Archives for Genealogy Research:
- Baptisms: 1874-1930
- Marriages: 1876-1930
- Deaths: none